Friday, November 11, 2016

How I make yogurt with my DIY yogurt maker...

Hi Everyone,

First thanks for all the sweet responses regarding my yogurt.  You are all so wonderful!  Full disclosure, I am certainly no fermentation expert.  My dill pickles are a work in progress, but I keep trying.  Hoping my Kraut fairs better in next few weeks.  However, since so many have asked, here is what I will outline here:

1.) A DIY crock-pot incubator
2.) My yogurt making steps

First, a confession of sorts, I had been trying a 'cooler' method where I tried to implement a heat source (warm water) and then wrap up a cooler over night, but have personally had poor success. The result was always runny yogurt that was really only good for smoothies.

I love Sandor Katz's books, and he had some great tips I have utilized.

  • If you are just getting a starter going, your first time or two will likely be pretty runny.  
  • I use whole milk.  I will have to experiment with 2% or non-dairy yogurts if anyone is interested.
  • Sandor's 'less is more' for starter into your milk is the approach I use.  I use a large soup spoon full of culture and that is it.  It is probably about a tablespoon's worth, or maybe about 1.5 tablespoons.

DIY Crock-Pot Incubator:

It is super simple, and is only two pieces:

1.) A Manual "Dial" (not digital!) Crockpot.   ($14.95) Here is a link to one on Amazon.  My crockpot is a 4 quart one.  It fits three pint jars comfortably with the lids off (and the crockpot lid on).  That is a good amount for me, but your mileage may vary. For the Bulgarian culture, you are recommended to make yogurt weekly, so plan your volume accordingly.

2.) A temperature controller outlet.   Don't be scared off by mine.  This is a 'self build' that I did for about $20.  Most home brew shops have these, or you can get them on Amazon.  Here is a link for a pre-built controller on Amazon. ($35)   The KEY is to make sure it will do 'HEAT' and 'COOL'.  If you want to try the DIY build, let me know and I'll dig that up.  These controllers are pretty cool.  You can use them to create your own cheese cave out of an old fridge or freezer, or even create a fermented meat locker. Personally, I would love to have both.  I digress though...


NOTE: The reason your crockpot needs to be 'manual' vs 'digital' is because your controller cycles the power on and off for your cooker to maintain temps.  The digital ones will likely 'reset' and your yogurt temp will dive after the first off cycle.  The manual one's are cheaper anyway!

You are just setting this sucker to 110 degrees and walking away pretty much.  Why bother with this?  I was about to pull trigger on a yogurt maker, but read comments that many don't regulate the temperature very well.  This unit will keep your yogurt at 109-111 for the entire duration.

I'll walk you though how to use it in the steps:

Yogurt Making Steps:

Equipment needed:
  • 3 Pint ball Jars (I use wide mouth)
  • DIY incubator
  • Towel
  • Fine Mesh Strainer
  • Candy Thermometer or other
With my type of equipment, you will need:

  • 6 Cups of Whole Milk
  • 1-2 TBSP of Bulgarian Yogurt from previous batch


Pre-Ferment

  1.  Pour your milk into a saucepan and gently heat it up between 170 and 180 on low heat.  You will need to whisk frequently to keep the milk from burning on the bottom.  However, I don't even start stirring until it gets up to 120 degrees.  I also don't constantly stir mine, but it is generally recommended that you do.  Certainly don't walk away from it unless you want a big mess on your stove.  If you don't constantly stir, you will get 'skin' and possible some stuck to the bottom.  We'll deal with that in a minute.
  2. While your milk is heating up, fill your jars with water and place them in the crockpot with lids off, and then fill your crockpot with water up to about an inch and half to two inches from the top of your jars.  
  3. Wrap your sensor in a gallon zip lock bag (no one knows if these things are waterproof) and stick it in your crockpot.  Place the lid on and set the crock temperature to low.
  4. Turn your controller unit to 110 degrees.  Plug your crockpot into the controller and the controller into a nearby outlet.  If you are anxious for cooker to heat up, you can turn the crock dial to high, but make sure you dial it back later.  We want to maintain this temp gently.
  5. When you hit your temp on the milk in step 1, keep it there for about 10-15 minutes.  After such time, I put the lid on my pot, take it off the heat and let it cool naturally.  The heat treatment helps with the thickness of yogurt.  No need to be in a hurry to cool it down.  I usually let it cool for an hour or so. 
Ferment
  1. When your thermometer says the milk has cooled to about 110, strain your milk (there will be clumps from heating in pan) into an easy to pour vessel and add your starter yogurt.   Give it a super good stir, or use a whisk with a nice clean utensil.  
  2. Your crockpot should be sufficiently pre heated by now.  Dump the water out of your ball jars (leave the water in the crockpot) and fill jars with your inoculated milk. The water bath surrounding the jars will hold a nice temp.
  3. Put the jars back into the crockpot (lids off).  Place the crockpot lid back on.  Throw on a tea towel on top to help keep temp in (the cord for the sensor will 'crack open' the lid) or don't worry about it.  Did you make sure your crock pot is on?  Is the dial on low?
  4. Set your timer for 5 hours for the first batch.  
Checking your yogurt.  I just pull the jar out and tip it.  If it runs or doesn't separate well from the side of the jar, put it back in and check every hour.  Don't worry about letting the heat out of the crock to check, the water and the ceramic cooker hold plenty of heat to keep the temperature regulated.  

Then it's done!



I've heard some people like to leave on the counter for an hour before refrigerating, but I just lid them up and throw them in the fridge.  Mine has come out very thick.  If yours does not, try again with the new yogurt as you may just be building up strength now.  Make sure to always save some for your next batch.  Mark the jar if you have teenagers.  ;) 

That is it.  A lot of writing for a pretty simple process.  I may try an experiment where pre-heat milk is also in crockpot, but later.  Happy to help with any questions. Experiment with whatever you want, this is just how I do it.  Surely you can make it even better.  Thanks for taking the time to read and have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Clever idea with the switch thing. I didn't know those existed.

    What I do is just turn the light on in my oven and use the oven. Because the oven is so well insulated it hold the temp at 100-110 or so. Check with a meat thermometer.

    The only thing to watch is dint put the jars too close to the bulb as the bulb gets very hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you admin, here i found some great information on yogurt
    and which is really helpful to the yogurt lovers.
    by the way, here my blog on yogurt, please read articles from
    my blog click here thanks

    ReplyDelete